USS Benson (DD-421) was laid down in May 1938, launched in November of the following year, and commissioned in July of 1940. The lead ship of the glass that would bear the brunt of the fighting in the opening years of WWII in the Pacific and Atlantic, she served most of her time in the Atlantic and Mediterranean theaters. Due to a collision with the destroyer Trippe, and subsequent repairs, she missed the Allied invasion of North Africa, Operation Torch, in 1942. Afterwards, she spent most of her time escorting convoys around the Mediterranean. She provided support for the invasion of Sicily in July 1944, and the invasion of Southern France in August of 1944. She returned to the United States in January of 1945 for refit, then was reassigned to the Pacific theater, arriving at Pearl Harbor in May of that year.
Benson finished out the war in the Pacific, escorting carrier raids on Wake Island, then providing convoy escort and general patrol between Ulithi and Okinawa. Post-war, she decommissioned in 1946, and sat in reserve until transferred to China in 1954, where she served as the Lo Yang (DD-14) until 1974, at which time she was sold for scrapping. USS Benson earned four battle stars for her WWII service.